Many people use soap and water to clean their 1million miles K&N filters, but this only damages the filter and reduces its 'life' considerably.
This is the proper way to clean those dirty K&N filters
- Use a hand brush to remove any excess debris eg. dirt particles, bugs, etc.
- Spray the K&N Filter Cleaner, let soak for 10minutes.
- After the 10mins, rinse off with water using LOW pressure from the inside out.. no compressed air & no high pressure hose!
- Allow to dry naturally.. no ovens, no hair dryers, no direct sunlight
- After drying, use the recommended K&N Filter oil before reinstalling onto engine. Never use motor oil! WD40 or any other type of lubricant.
This can be done at home. A simple task for the Do it Yourself people.. and it require little of no expensive stuff.. except for the K&N filter cleaner & filter oil.
Recommend the K&N recharge kit. Follow the instructions and you're good to go!
Also one way to keep the intake pipe clean and shiny - use 'The Polish in a Tube'