The Racing Magazine in the Islands
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Peugeot 208 GTi exclusive 2012

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zorce.com Forum Index -> Peugeot - The Lion's Den
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Plex
Zorce Jedi Master

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:00 am    Post subject: Peugeot 208 GTi exclusive 2012 Reply with quote

Peugeot is preparing to unleash a hot GTi version of its new 208 supermini – and the ingredients are right for it to be one of the most exciting Peugeots for years. We have all the details, and our illustrations show how the standard 208 will be transformed.

Like the 205 GTi, which was offered with 105bhp 1.6-litre and 130bhp 1.9-litre engines, the 208 will come with a choice of power outputs. The tamer version will feature the same 181bhp 1.6-litre turbo engine as the MINI Cooper S, cover the 0-62mph sprint in less than seven seconds and still return almost 50mpg.

The interior will get sports seats and GTi badges, while the exterior will feature bigger alloys, a pumped-up bodykit and larger foglights. At the back, a roof spoiler and twin exhausts finish off the makeover.

The 208 GTi will have plenty of rivals, as the Ford Fiesta ST is due before the end of the year, and there’s an all-new Renaultsport Clio arriving in early 2013. There’s no official release date for the 208 GTi, although we could see it as early as the Geneva Motor Show next month.

Autoexpressnews
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
uttamj
Jedi Hopeful

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about the not so tame one?
Plex
Zorce Jedi Master

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tame ones coming soon...in motorsports.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Plex
Zorce Jedi Master

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peugeot 208 Gti Concept revealed

Following an initial teaser that was released yesterday, Peugeot has released full details and preview images of the brand new 208 Gti Concept that will be unveiled at the Geneva Motor Show on March 6th.

The source of the concept is the 1.6-litre turbocharged engine that has been passed over from the RCZ THP 200. It produces 197bhp ( 147 kW / 200 PS ) and 275 Nm (203lb ft) of torque and is mated with a six-speed manual transmission that should result in a 0-100kph (0-62mph) acceleration time of under 7 seconds.

The exterior features some modest updates such as the lower aerodynamic body, lower sill skirt extensions and a brushed aluminium GTi Concept logo on the grille and rear three-quarter panels. It lacks a certain element of aggression that most would like to see considering this is a pre-production concept, but the interior tries to go a little way to satisfying those needs.

The cabin has more high-tech updated look to it with LED backlighting giving an ambient feel to the driver. It is complimented by a flat bottomed red perforated leather steering wheel.

The Peugeot 208 Gti hasn't been officially confirmed for production, but we expect this to be a mere formality once this concept has been unveiled. We expect to see it hit the showrooms before the end of the year.

Worldcarfans

Last edited by Plex on Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Plex
Zorce Jedi Master

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plex
Zorce Jedi Master

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peugeot engine chief: ‘I’ll be fighting for 230bhp in 208 GTI’

PEUGEOT hot hatch fans worried the 208 GTI won’t live up to its predecessor’s legend can take solace in one fact…

The man leading the team behind the engine choice put the 1.9-litre in the 205 GTI!

Philippe Merckx is in charge of Peugeot’s 100-strong engine design team and his workforce is currently testing prototypes of the next GTI. So what engine does he prefer?

‘There’s really only one choice,’ said Merckx. ‘And that’s the 1.6-litre turbo from the RCZ. The decision we’re currently debating is whether it should be in 200bhp or 230bhp guise.

‘I prefer the 230bhp but there are issues with torque steer. There are options to use electronics to reduce these issues, but I really don’t think a performance model should have restrictions like this.’

Merckx has been with Peugeot for 24 years and has worked on a series of key powerplants for the French maker. His first was the iconic 1.9-litre lump that was so successful in the 205 GTI as well as the 2.2-litre HDI engine with the first particulate filter.

‘Developing the engine for the new 208 GTI is very difficult as so much has changed since the 205 GTI,’ explained Merckx.

‘When I had my 205 GTI 1.9 I would drive everywhere at high speed but now there are speed cameras everywhere and etiquette issues to contend with.

‘The image for GTIs has changed over the years. Now the bosses have to consider marketing and how high powered cars will be received.

‘However, I have tried the 230bhp 1.6-litre 208 GTI prototype and was very impressed. There is development to be made and no decisions have been taken, but I am passionate about making it exciting and great to drive.’

Merckx has ruled out a larger unit than the 1.6 though as there are cooling issues. A 1.8-litre was considered but the modifications needed to make it into production ruled it out early on. ‘It would have been possible for small production numbers but not for the GTI,’ he added.

The engineering chief also admitted his department had been asked to look at a series of Rallye models over the years and he didn’t ruled out the name reappearing on the back of a hot hatch again in the future. ‘We’ve looked at a number of Rallye engine options, but none have so far got the green light,’ he revealed.

But does be really think the 208 GTI can live up to the legend of the 205 and recapture the magic of that legendary hot hatch?

‘Things have changed over the years, but I want to see an exciting car to drive again,’ explained Merckx. ‘It’ll be up to the bosses to decide which unit gets the go ahead, but I know which I prefer and which I’ll be fighting for – and that’s the 230bhp version.’

Cardealermagazine
Plex
Zorce Jedi Master

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plex
Zorce Jedi Master

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zorce.com Forum Index -> Peugeot - The Lion's Den All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: