The Racing Magazine in the Islands
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HSR Project - on the road again...FINALLY........
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zorce.com Forum Index -> The Secret Project Room (tsk)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MG Man
Zorce Klingon Warrior

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo, yo, welcome dey pallie
have a look round a cool forum Smile

I know it's so, for I told me so
gunner
Zorce Jedi Knight

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm , interesting , that vauxhall is quite the beast .
MG Man
Zorce Klingon Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest update:
Clutch cable has been installed and adjusted. A brief moment of anxiety occured when I pumped the pedal a few times nad heard a metallic 'clang' followed by a very soft pedal. Close examiation indicated the release bearing was not moving forward enough to act on th p ressure plate. I initially thought the clutch fork popped out of place, but as it turns out, there was some hidden 'play' that showed up when I pumped the pedal. All looks fine now.

Other work done today included refitting of radiator and relevant hoses, alternator and throttle linkage...al that's left now is some minor wiring, reinstall a battery, renew engine and gearbox oil, and try for ignition! I plan to use the same gearbox oil that Narend used in the Rexxxie

MG Man
Zorce Klingon Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plan today was to change engine oil.change gearbox oil, put in some fuel, full up cooling system, and steal a battery to start........... Very Happy

DEcided to put some NP Ultra cuz the pil in the cramkcase was in the car for maybe a year now, and its nice and black..........no sense contaminating the Kendall.......

first hurdle: sump drain plug is a 1" nut, and the crescent just wasn't cutting it............drove to Madcrixz to borrow a spanner (Thanks Yo!), and finally changed the oil.....Stopped by the mechanic on the way back to get a jerrycan for some gas, and at the parts place to get a 17mm allen key for the gearbox drain plug...........hard luck, no 17mm Confused so gear oil not changed Confused Confused

So gas in, oil in, some oil out all over floor......., removed cam covers to lube the cams, reconnect VDO oil unit.......wire snapped off Evil or Very Mad yeah, that happens with 25 year old wiring........drive back out to find some spade connectors to reconnect the unit............rel ratch going on now

Time to fill radiator...........in goes the water..........out comes the water, which naturally found the puddle of black oil Shocked so seems I have either a leak in the rad or loose hose..............either way, patience was wearing tin so I gave up

Next week for sure............

in the meantime, this is what Bucket Tappets look like, for those who keep asking.....those shiny round things below the cam lobes are the buckets

MG Man
Zorce Klingon Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So lets see.........another Sunday spent tinkering...........thanks to Alan aka Zodiaque for lending a hand / toolkit / battery.......
While waiting on him to arrive I decided to take the Dremel and clean up all the grounds where there was overspray or age-old corrosion getting in the way...
so we fixed the leaky radiator hose with the world's longest string of extensions ever fitted to a ratchet Laughing and put a battery in the car........all checks complete, a moment of silence, and ignition ON......healthy ticking from the fuel pump, watched the fuel filter fill up, watch the fuel hose spray fuel everywhere.........watch Zodi's look of horror........ignition OFF Laughing tighten fuel hoses to and from filter, try again......no leaks from hoses, all looks well, watch fuel pour from carbs.....watch Zodi's look of horror, ignition OFF Laughing Laughing
gee Alan, yuh think de floats stuck?
Remove carb lids, free up check valves......I should have remembered this would happen but anyways........carbs sealed, try again
wait for fuel pump to slow its ticking.......no smoke, no fire, no fuel leaking.........turn key
a few lazy tumbles as to be expected.
We spent a few minutes tumbling, waiting for the engine to open up after being quiet for almost a year
Then I decided a bigger battery was needed, so we swapped for Zodi-s battery, which gave the same response as mine
so I pit mine backmin and tried again...........this time, nothing.......ignition on...check.....turn to start.....Nada.......not even Nada III
Confused
The only variable was when we put my battery back on, the negative clamp BROKE
yeah, who breaks a battery clamp? Me, apparently
So I swapped for an old one, still nothing.....fitted the broken one and used a vice grip to hold it tight onto the battery terminal, still nothing

Plan now is to fit a new negative ground and see if that was the problem. If not, then something else has gone wrong............ Confused

The Saga Continues

Yeo
Zorce Jedi Master

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MG Man wrote:
the negative clamp BROKE
yeah, who breaks a battery clamp? Me, apparently

DAMN!! Shocked

Check the fusebox.. with the bigger battery.. some may have been fried.. especially since they have not been used in such a while.
MG Man
Zorce Klingon Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I checked the specs on the batteries
the power master 11 plate which I tried first was 575 cranking amps
the Rocket 13 plate, which was a physically bigger battery was only 500 cranking amps, so I doubt it could have fried anything, but I'll check the fuses all the same!

MG Man
Zorce Klingon Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so another Sunday spent in the garage.....football? what football?
This time I brought out the big guns, my tech advisor Hammond
First order of business was to remove the carb covers and clean everything up, which included microfine filters, jets and all the plumbing. There was an alarming amount of grit in the filters, which when mixed with the varnish from being idle for a year, meant most things were gummed up. So out came the Bars and Gum Solve. Two hours later and everything was good to go..........

Then the issue of last week's starting mystery. Checks indicated I had one of the negative grounds placed incorrectly. I had run one from the terminal to the body, and another to what I thought was the block, except that it was mounted on the wrong side of the engine mount Confused amateurs eh Confused

So that was fixed and time to start.........new 600 cranking amp Power Master battery Very Happy engine tumbled strongly but no spark. No check-light either, so Hammond mad use of a piece of wire to troubleshoot. Turned out to be the points, which we cleaned up and then tried again.

Deep breath, ignition on.........tumble.........rAAAAAAAAppppPPPPP rAAAAAApppPPPP.....cough..........choke ............wheeze.........
instant ignition, and a lil misfire, but we had it firing on all cylinders Very Happy
A bit more tinkering and she was idling smoothly at 1050rpm Twisted Evil All the more musical with the exhaust not connected yet, so we had full volume out of the collector box Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Next plan is to drain the old fuel....seems the $40 I put in last week was not enough to overcome the old gas (there may have been more in the tank than I thought)

So now that she can start, next plan is to clear the other cars out and see if she can move.....hopefully the clutch is adjusted mostly correctly.....but this will have to wait till after dex Twisted Evil

MadCrix
Los Paranderos de Zorce

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steupse and i had the 17mm allen rench for u jackass

and where my 2 1" spanners eh eh
MG Man
Zorce Klingon Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^drat
the spanners in the Almera, and I had the Corolla yesterday
for dex nuh, cuz I still need the hex nut as well to change the HSR gearbox oil
Is a pity u weren't there yesterday to witness the event
plenty backfire and spitbacks b4 Hammond got her running smooth Twisted Evil surprisingly no flame from the carbs, just the exhaust Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

MadCrix
Los Paranderos de Zorce

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea yuh doh call a coolie
u jsut racial
NarendZORCE
Zorce Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the call when she fired up - WAAAHHHHHHEEEEYYYYYYYY!!!!!!! She sounding healthy! Can't wait to see her run Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
gunner
Zorce Jedi Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wha , that slow ting , lol
MG Man
Zorce Klingon Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gunner wrote:
wha , that slow ting , lol

yeah boi, we little ppl hadda start somewhere eh Wink

MG Man
Zorce Klingon Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NarendZORCE wrote:
I got the call when she fired up - WAAAHHHHHHEEEEYYYYYYYY!!!!!!! She sounding healthy! Can't wait to see her run Twisted Evil

fired up, you say............

minor problem, soon to be sorted: drain gas tank and put in some good stuff, play with carbs a bit.......definitely NOT gonna see air filters anytime soon. Burned some perfectly good power socks last time she behaved bad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zorce.com Forum Index -> The Secret Project Room (tsk) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 3 of 28

Jump to: