The Racing Magazine in the Islands
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Lion Project (tu5 8v turbo build)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zorce.com Forum Index -> The Secret Project Room (tsk)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlittlelion
Riding Shotgun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: The Lion Project (tu5 8v turbo build) Reply with quote

I'm starting the process with a suspension upgrade...the full works..... this will be done togeather with the head and cam work
Plex
Zorce Jedi Master

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice..u porting also?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
saltydog
Official-CARS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

u going to turbo and then do head and cam work? dont waste your money as head and cam work are not necessary on this engine to generate power, the turbo will take car of that. save your money for programmable injection, LSD and a decent front mount intercooler upgrade. I have turboed a few of these engines and believe me power is not the problem, planting it is
Plex
Zorce Jedi Master

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saltydog wrote:
u going to turbo and then do head and cam work? dont waste your money as head and cam work are not necessary on this engine to generate power, the turbo will take car of that. save your money for programmable injection, LSD and a decent front mount intercooler upgrade. I have turboed a few of these engines and believe me power is not the problem, planting it is

so what are saying just go turbo? no other work on the internals?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
saltydog
Official-CARS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: turbo tu5 Reply with quote

The purpose of porting and adding cam's with more lift and duration is to allow more flow through the cylinder head, thus gaining more power through better volumetric efficiency (in a nutshell). Adding a turbo or fored induction will allow the standard ports (which are quite good by the way) to flow much more that a normally asperated engine. The internal work I would look at is ensuring that the stock components are up to the job, dont add stress to an engine that is nearly ready to need a rebuild. Once the pistons, rings and bearings are ok I would used a thicker head gasket to lower the compression and fit new valve seals etc. We ran 11Psi for 50000km on this engine with no internal mods and no engine problems.
You need to address the injection/timing concerns to compensate for boost and this is where I would spend my money first. I am not saying forged pistons and rods etc are a bad idea, what I am saying is unless you want to build a 400bhp monster it is not necessary. Remember the more power you put the more something else will become the limiting factor (gearbox,driveshafts etc). So for a 14sec streetable road car you need not spend money on cams;headwork etc. go with a good turbo build and look at haltec or simular programmable injection, maintain the power level in the 1.6 to about 185-190 bhp at the flywheel and it will be reliable anything else will be R&D (race and destroy!)
dlittlelion
Riding Shotgun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupes stupes stupes big man��.wah yuh tellin meh boy��..stupes.

Leh meh start from d top yuh c de same ting ah sayin ok ok after looking at the specks of a number of models that carry the tu 5 block and 8v combination I noticed a HP range from 80 to 145 so I asked around on different Pug forums and the answers were all the same�..THE HEAD.

I contacted a company in the UK called CC ENGINE SERVICES for information on a tu5 8v head for turbo applications�I was told that the head on my 90Hp engine has a lot of fat they explained it like a 100m sprinter or a performance athlete having a clogged nose their expert advise was to clear away smoothen and polish both intake and exhaust ports decrease the seal angle of the valve and seat and replace the cam with one with a higher toe and little or no overlap if possible so as to increase exhaust pressure if done properly sick man said getting 200HP is as easy as pie sick man even went on to talk bout rebuilding intake manifold and fuel management.

Now doh geh meh wrong if in your experience yuh doh c d need for head and cam work I cool wit dat i lookin for 200hp
Plex
Zorce Jedi Master

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i keep those points in mind...
saltydog
Official-CARS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well there has never been a standard TU5JP engine with 145 BHP the TU5JP4 as fitted to the 106 S16 was 125Bhp and there may have been a citroen engine with 145 Bhp. However your engine TU5JP needs no head work to gain this power, once the turbo and internals are up to it. If this is the power you are looking for with this engine you best buy a few gearboxes and keep for spares cause the gearbox cannot cope with 200Bhp. There is a company in the Uk that do a front housing for the BE3 gearbox (1.8 306) to fit the TU5 engine. This box is safe for 250Bhp. Anyhow have fun trying I ws only trying to save you some money in R&D (race and destroy)
Plex
Zorce Jedi Master

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saving money has to be the main thing also...can a 6-speed gear box work?
saltydog
Official-CARS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

only if you want to have less lock to the right as the gearbox is longer and protrudes into the wheel well
Plex
Zorce Jedi Master

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok...what would u say is the best way to get power from a 1.8 8v 306 sedan..
dlittlelion
Riding Shotgun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

point well taken saltydog but citroen and peugeot belong to the same psa group Share the same engine combinations��please explain two engines with the same bottom end (bore and stroke) having such a large difference in HP��yes I want to save money but I need solid facts�is it possible to arrange for me to view one of your conversions?
Plex
Zorce Jedi Master

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dlittlelion a 1.6 pushing 250bhp, that real power there..
dlittlelion
Riding Shotgun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

citroen have a lot of 1.6 power plants
dlittlelion
Riding Shotgun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saltydog ah still waitin to see an local 1.6 turbo so ah cud make up meh mind on d head work........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zorce.com Forum Index -> The Secret Project Room (tsk) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: