The Racing Magazine in the Islands
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ECU Flash 1.28 Software - Introduction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zorce.com Forum Index -> The Mitsubishi Madmen
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R. Mutt
Jedi Hopeful

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: ECU Flash 1.28 Software - Introduction Reply with quote

I was originally going to pm this to Sanctifier but then decided that other evo owners could benifit from understanding how the software works.

Note: I take no responsibility for what decisions you make in flashing your ECU. I am not a tuner, nor have experience in remapping evos.

Installation

Requirements

1) Begin by pluging in the cable into the USB port of your laptop. The "Found New Hardware" wizard will pop up, asking if you want to install the drivers, click NO.

Note: You do not have to plug in the OBDII socket into the diagnostic port of your evo.

2) Unzip the download file and install. While installing it will ask if you want to install the drivers, allow them to install. A Window Certificate warning will come up, make sure to authorize the installation of the drivers.

GUI

Here you can see the list of parameters that can be modified on your evo. Each model and ecu will vary. As seen here (JDM Evo 7) the lighter fields cannot be modified:

General Tuning Guide

Low Octane Fuel/Timing Maps

As you probably know the Evo ECU has two fuel and ignition tables. The low octane fuel map (as it is named) is what the ECU refers to if the knock sensor detects detonation. This map has the lower timing values to retard ignition in an attempt to avoid preignition.

These ignition values are executed simultaneously with the low octane fuel map.

Use of such tables is often evident on a dyno graph when the whp and torque drop off at higher rpms...and sometimes then continues back up (switches back to high octane fuel & timing maps). I am unsure of what parameter or parameters older ECU use before switching back to high octane fuel and ignition maps, however the newer models make use of the "Knock Sensor Filter Map" which should not be tampered with.

High Octane Fuel/Timing Maps

These are your high octane fuel and timing maps. These are the values the ecu utilizes up until detonation occurs. These are the maps you will be working with primarily.

Now you have the ability to clean this up as would be the case I estimate with typical bolt ons in combination with the local pump gas.

Here you can see the 14.7 AFR values from a stock JDM evo 7's high octane map. However, the maps you see here are closed loop tables. These are the values that the ecu will strive to achieve.

colby wrote:
"the AFRs you see in the tables are open-loop targets where the appropriate fueling to achieve the desired AFR is estimated based on the current MAF reading and the learned fuel trims while in closed loop."

The highlighted boxes are what MMC engineers consider to be typical cruising speeds as evidenced by the low rpm (y-axis) and load (x-axis) values they are associated with.

Modifying Cells

NOTE: Before you begin, I strongly recommend playing with a rom from the net, DO NOT plug in and attempt to reflash on your first try. The first thing one should always do before reflashing is save the original ROM and store it in a safe place. Never alter this ROM as in the event that something goes wrong, you can always revert back to this state of tune.

Here is a quick run through of how easy it is to adjust your high octane fuel table values:

Click the box of the parameter you would like to modify. The associated table/menu will appear.

In the case of fuel/timing tables, highlight the cells you want to modify. Click edit and select which method you would like to use in order to delver the change. I.E. +/- 0.1, +/- 1% or "Set Data". Don't play Hero Boodram...you have to crawl before you can walk...start with small changes. Since I wish to modify a number of boxes with a specific value, I have chosen "Set Data"

Enter the new value into the box that appears and click enter. I have chosen 11.7 as an example.

Voila...the new value replaces the former.

WOT Tuning

I am somewhat hesitatant about this part because it is to be taken very generally. As a result I will be vague with my explanations.

This diagram illustrates what a WOT run might look like. The highlighted regions represent the general area of the values that would be used while accelerating at WOT from a standstill.

As you can see, maximum load is reached before the car actually reaches the rev limiter...then, once off the throttle you see how instanteously the load drops off and the engine revolutions slow down back towards 0. It is this main path that you will be dealing with for WOT tuning.

It is of key importance to use a wideband 02 sensor while datalogging. Keep in mind you have no idea what afrs you are actually running as no two cars are the same. Furthermore the modifications you have made will invariably alter the afrs at various loads throughout the rpm band. See what your car is saying and adjust slowly from there.

Saving the ROM

When saving a ROM you must add the extension .hex to the file before saving. Ecu Flash does not automatically assign the file type associated with such files.

Downlaoding the ROM

Coming Soon

Uploading the ROM

Coming Soon

Links

I am trying my best to keep abreast of what is going on with this new software for evos. The EcuFlash forum on Evolutionm is a great resouce for learning more. Al Freidman is there as well as the developers from Open-ecu.org

Last edited by R. Mutt on Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Sanctifier
Zorce Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mutt thanks a lot my friend. Looking forward to learning more from you in July.
We'll be using the spare JDM Evo 7 GSR ECU that I have, so you should be more familiar
with that model. I can't wait to learn more and then try it out on the RalliArt ECU. Twisted Evil

Jesse is going to finish tuning the Xede tomorrow (I hope) so then I can learn more before
you arrive. Xede has wideband and 02 sensor functionality as well as datalogging ability.
In addition Xede offers "on-the-fly" real-time tuning of A/F, Ignition and Boost as you drive.

All that I really need are... higher RPM limit and to remove Speed-cut (if present) etc.
The Xede handles everything else... and has dual-mapping and Water-Methanol Injection
control functions as well.
Now all I need is a laptop with serial and USB ports. $$$$ Rolling Eyes Laughing
Sanctifier
Zorce Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup this deserves to be 'stickified.'
Sanctifier
Zorce Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ ^ ^ UPDATE:... Ecu Flash version 1.28 software now available for download.

Download EcuFlash 1.28 (Windows XP) Here
Sanctifier
Zorce Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ ^ ^ UPDATE II... Seems the E6 RS ECUs require different 'initialization' method.
Current cable failed to recognize the ECU on two Evo 6 RS2s. Crying or Very sad

New version for Evo 6 under development. We'll see what happens then.
Sanctifier
Zorce Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New version of ECU Flash software out... Version 1.29a Click Here

No sign of Evo 5/6 version yet though...
This posted on Fri Sep 29, 2006.
cboles wrote:
I will be posting my code soon...

colby

Let's hope for an answer soon.
R. Mutt
Jedi Hopeful

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby lapsin...I dunno when this thing going to be ready Crying or Very sad
Zorce Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah still holdin' on... For now! Buying parts for upgrade. The E6 will stay running dead for now.
Focusing on suspension next week. After upgrade I'll retire it for weekends and dex.

I have an option. I bought an Evo 7 GSR harness and ECU. Still looking for link under
the dashboard. If Colby isn't ready when I start I'll buy a new link, use the E7 stuff in
the E6 and reflash that.

If I have to do that, I'll use the E6 stuff in the E6 clone (daily driver) so it won't be wasted.
R. Mutt
Jedi Hopeful

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silvermike and I will be exploring new territory in his VI through the use of EcuFlash 1.34, Evo Scan 2.0 Map Tracer Edition and an evo VII ecu. Look for updates in the near future.
Zorce Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long time in comin' for an update... but this one is definately worth it!
Here is the definitive Guide to Evo ECU reflashing... all 172 pages of it.

Link--> Merlin's EcuFlash Tuning Manual.

Thanks again to crazyballhead for this link in the other place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zorce.com Forum Index -> The Mitsubishi Madmen All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: