The Racing Magazine in the Islands
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Evolution 6 - Birth of a Legend!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zorce.com Forum Index -> The Mitsubishi Madmen
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sanctifier
Zorce Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW... here's a Chart from the AutoCar Road Test comparing the 1999 Evolution VI GSR and the 1999 Nissan Skyline R34.

AutoCar mag. wrote:
They were both dead even up to 50 mph...

The Evo VI GSR was quicker in 'mid-range' acceleration: Faster from 50-80 mph (0.1-0.2 sec for each 10 mph increment.)

... with the 1/4-mile "almost too close to call" (0.1 seconds.)

The Skyline was quicker in 'top-end' acceleration: ...80-100 mph (0.4 seconds.)... and 'Standing kilometre' (0.9 seconds)
It seems to all come down to the OEM gear ratios used...

So much for all the hype and the on-going myth about the Skyline's overall invincibility on the street
compared to the Mitsubishi Evo VI GSR and the Subie WRX STi; the other JDM 'pocket rocket' of that era.
AutoCar's test data shows otherwise... at least when compared to the Evo 6 GSR.
FINAL ANALYSIS wrote:
The Evo VI GSR is quicker (mid range)... and the Skyline R34 is faster (top end)...
but there's really not much in it either way. 'Nuff said!

AutoCar's $0.02ยข Cool

Last edited by Sanctifier on Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sanctifier
Zorce Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VK-Sportsman wrote:
So then would the 6 RS have a "slightly" faster time than the "AutoCar's 4.4s" due to less weight?....
Sanctifier wrote:
My RS2 also has the factory option of the Group N rally box with a 4.875:1 final drive ratio.
It won't hit 155 mph like a GSR... but who cares! 0-100 mph is FUN!

Now that is an AutoCar Road Test that I'd love to read.

I do know that when I swapped the original E6 engine/box for an E7 engine (with identical parts) & std box (4.53:1 final drive), it felt like I threw away the 4th cylinder... The car was DEAD SLOW in comparison!
Still no info on the JDM Evo VI RS yet... but this Road Test may answer the question about the performance of a 4.875:1 crown-wheel & pinion...

AutoCar Mag. 23-6-1999 wrote:
UPGRADES: - Evo VI RS Sprint...

INTERIOR: Manual window winders... No A/C... No Sound deadening material...

ACCESSORIES: Evo VI GSR PIAA Driving lights...

SUSPENSION: Front - 24 mm (0.9449") lower... Rear - 14 mm (0.5512") lower

DRIVE-TRAIN: No AYC (LSD installed)... Overall Drive Ratios = 9% lower.... Final drive Ratio = 4.53 listed (???)
Sanctifier wrote:
If there's a 9% overall reduction in gear ratio... AND 'Top Speed' = 139 mph (down from 150 mph)...
then the 4.53:1 listed may be a "typo" IMHO; especially as...
0-100 mph = 10.4 (0.8 seconds faster than the E6 GSR!)... and (0.4 seconds faster than the R34 Skyline!)

My E6 RS2 with 4.875 final drive gave a similar 'Top speed' result. I may be wrong but the Sprint may have been supplied with the "OEM optional" 4.875:1 crown-wheel & pinion. Cool Cool Cool

ENGINE: SuperFlow Air-filter & Induction kit... Super Dragger Exhaust system... Uprated turbo boost, solonoid & air system...
OUTPUT: 330 bhp @ 6,500 rpm...

PERFORMANCE: 0-60 mph = 4.2 seconds... 0-100 mph = 10.4 seconds... '1/4-mile' = ??? seconds...'Top Speed' = 139 mph.

Just checked The Archives. Here's a link to the article...

Link--> R/TEST: See You Later Homologator.

... and a few pages of interest...

Sanctifier wrote:
I'm not interested in Drag Racing but now I'm curious about a "1/4-mile Test" between my stock RS2 and a stock R34 when I'm back on the road in late 2014...
Either "Best of 3 Runs"... or even better, "Average of 5 Runs"... All "in the interest of Science" of course! Cool Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zorce.com Forum Index -> The Mitsubishi Madmen All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: