The Racing Magazine in the Islands
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"GroceryGetter!" - Lancer 1800 GTX (A175X.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zorce.com Forum Index -> The Mitsubishi Madmen
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sanctifier
Zorce Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MG Man wrote:
awesome toys!
^ ^ ^ Maybe it's a good thing that I call my workshop the ToyRoom... Laughing Laughing

Here's an older Car-O-Liner frame machine Applause that I'm hoping to get... Pray ... Unfortunately, it doesn't have an "on-board" scissors-lift like later models...

Instead of using a High-lift Jack for the normal setup... I hope I can get a used MaxJax on eBay.
Quote:
Normal setup: ---> "car-on-wheel-stands" ---> "wheel-stands-down to-bench" ---> "bench-on-wheelstands" for working head-room...

Sanctifier wrote:
This way allows me to use even taller axle stands for extra headroom with the Car-O-Liner...
Idea Drilling ANCHOR-HOLES elsewhere, also gives you an ALTERNATIVE Work-bay when needed.

EDIT: The UNIC Strongman 12-volt and BendPak ML-6 portable auto fork-lifts are other flexable alternatives.
Both units are out of production but hopefully are still available on the "used" market (eBay.)
Both have more "head room" (72") than the MaxJax for guys over 6 ft. like me.
Sanctifier wrote:
CAUTION: IMHO I would also use tall axle-stands before standing underneath to work (for better stability & safety.)

This will give me the flexability of using it anywhere in my small (cramped?) ToyRoom...
... or even in the drive-way for high-pressure underbody steam-cleaning

Here's a similar (newer and cheaper) alternative - - - - - - - - - - - - -> Workhorse MSC-6K Portable Car Lift

I'll keep you guys posted.

Last edited by Sanctifier on Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:14 pm; edited 8 times in total
Sanctifier
Zorce Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ ^ ^ DONE!
Yay!!! At last!... Bow Down My own lift.

Sanctifier wrote:
No more plywood and concrete (grass & mud).
No more lying down on my back with a faceful of muck!
No more losing cars from FLOOD DAMAGE (like my wife's Subaru Legacy GT Turbo Wagon in August!) Evil or Very Mad
Quick 'setup' on Car-O-Liner Bench... or Rotisserie. Cool
Best of all, real convenience for a change when doing repairs and servicing... It fits ANYWHERE in the ToyRoom. Very Happy

Access is not as good as a 2-post/4-post lift... but the 5" extension pillars give enough clearance to remove a driveshaft or exhaust if necessary...
Another option... just lower the jack, leaving the car on the tall axle stands... All the clearance in the world!

Also, a 2-post or 4-post lift can only protect ONE car from possible flood damage.
Using A-frames, this can protect them all... With the weather so screwey these days, that's VERY important to me.

My $0.02¢

Last edited by Sanctifier on Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:21 pm; edited 4 times in total
Sanctifier
Zorce Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: It's been awhile... but I've been VERY busy... fixing "headaches" and preparing for the 'build'.
My home was flooded out in August! Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad ... Clean-up was a HUGE p.i.t.a. Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes

All FIVE cars, including my wife's Subaru Legacy GT Turbo Wagon got hit... (It had to be "written off"... at a VERY big loss of course!) Rolling Eyes

... including the 1800 GSR "Project" car and my immaculate EX 1400 "Parts" car... Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad

Thankfully, "clean up", "throw out" and "salvage" are almost over. I've also totally stripped and cleaned both cars and swapped ALL the 1400 EX bits
into the GSR for MoT inspection... (pix to follow.) This was easier than finding 1800 GSR parts to get it going again.
This way, I don't have to worry about "de-registration" when it's off the road for a few years, during the 'build'. It's just to protect my growing investment in this project.

Now for some news that's a lot more pleasant. So far, I scored the following used tools & equipment...

........................... Car-O-Mech .................. and M900 Measuring Systems...
as well as Car-O-Liner Frame Data Manuals... a dozen or more Mo Clamps... Mo Clamp 'Baby' Tram Gauge... etc. etc.

Autotron Induction Heater (New @ a "killer" eBay price!) Cool
Sanctifier wrote:
A 'stuck' Pitman Arm was so tight that the pickle-fork handle broke when trying to seperate it... Evil or Very Mad
Autotron had it almost red hot in less than 45 seconds... New pickle-fork had absolutely no problems this time! Cool

A Dominator II Master PDR kit...

and a PDR light and other PDR tools. (I intend to do "Paintless Dent Repair" commercially next year.)...

and sundry hand-tools & other bits like a 90deg Outlet...

... for the future DIY Sandblast/Spray-booth...

It's here! It will be delivered next week... Twisted Evil

Car-O-Liner Mk. IV Bench (frame machine) with Two Draw-Aligner Arms & accessories... plus another Car-O-Mech. Cool

It's actually TWO Car-O-Liners & Accessories... plus TWO Car-O-Mech Measuring Systems... 6,931 lbs of steel.
... ... ... ... ...
One pair (C-O-L & Car-O-Mech) was sold in advance (@ "cost"), which made this all possible. Thank you "Smiley"!
Sanctifier wrote:
I must say "Thank you!" to Dave Shelby and the guys from Illinois, USA.
Without his generosity and interest in the Project and giving me at a "fire-sale" price,
it would be impossible for me to afford this frame machine.

This is what a Car-O-Liner looks like in action...

Next year should be a lot more FUN! Cool
Sanctifier wrote:
Another really cool 'toy' to speed up and improve autobody weld quality and strength is being crated for shipment right now...
The Car-O-Liner clip (above) will give you a hint. More on this later... Laughing

Last edited by Sanctifier on Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:25 pm; edited 4 times in total
Sanctifier
Zorce Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay time to let the cat out of the bag... I got lucky recently.
I scored a Saitek_Weilander-Schill water-cooled spot welder at a VERY reasonable price.
If it works well, then "weld-bonding" will be a breeze during the restoration.

It should arrive next week. Trying to install by mid-February if all goes well... 90 amp circuit req'd.
I don't want to 'hard-wire' a "fixed" installation, so I'm hunting a suitable "disconnect" (plug) for it. Suggestions will be appreciated.

(Sample pic of "air-cooled" unit)................ ("Parts car" on Car-O-Liner for measurements.)

GroceryGetter is already 2 weeks behind schedule; so hoping to have all other tools & equipment by then too.
M900 upper body measuring system (uprights) should arrive with welder...
Up next, about 2-3 weeks of measurements and drawings... while the GSR gets MoT inspection & 2013 sticker.
cutthroatInt
Pumpum Conqueror

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Portable lift Reply with quote

Sanctifier wrote:
^ ^ ^ DONE!
Yay!!! At last!... Bow Down My own lift.

Sanctifier wrote:
No more plywood and concrete (grass & mud).
No more lying down on my back with a faceful of muck!
No more losing cars from FLOOD DAMAGE (like my wife's Subaru Legacy GT Turbo Wagon in August!) Evil or Very Mad
Quick 'setup' on Car-O-Liner Bench... or Rotisserie. Cool
Best of all, real convenience for a change when doing repairs and servicing... It fits ANYWHERE in the ToyRoom. Very Happy

Access is not as good as a 2-post/4-post lift... but the 5" extension pillars give enough clearance to remove a driveshaft or exhaust if necessary...
Another option... just lower the jack, leaving the car on the tall axle stands... All the clearance in the world!

Also, a 2-post or 4-post lift can only protect ONE car from possible flood damage.
Using A-frames, this can protect them all... With the weather so screwey these days, that's VERY important to me.

My $0.02¢

Hey man, condolences bout the property damage during the flood.
See flood and fire, is two things I fraid when it comes to meh house!... u wud not believe!

on a lighter note,

Was trying to figure out from your posts, did u acquire the lift?

Plz tell me u will rent me it for a few days!..... and sell me it when ur project is done!....
Sanctifier
Zorce Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did u acquire the lift?... Yup, I did. That's what I used to put the "Parts car" (Lancer 1400 EX) on the Car-O-Liner in the pic.
Plz tell me u will rent me it for a few days!... Sorry, not right now. Almost finished the ToyRoom at last... Applause Yay!!!
and renovations starting next month for flood repairs... and to finish my wife's Catering kitchen.

and sell me it when ur project is done!... Nope, not ever goin' tuh happen! Laughing
6 year old already has his eye on it. Smile Seriously, I've dreamed about owning one for decades.
This gives me encouragement to complete my 3 projects... plus whatever else comes along after.
cutthroatInt
Pumpum Conqueror

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm..... Sad
Morpheus23
Looking for the Jedi base

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn @ flood pics...

I know I late eh Laughing Laughing

But I keep forgetting about Zorce. I need to pop in here more often.

Any updates?

All the best for 2014 and I hope your son is doing Ok.
Sanctifier
Zorce Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morpheus23 wrote:
Damn @ flood pics... All the best for 2014 and I hope your son is doing Ok.
Hi Morpheus and Happy New Year to you and yours too. Brian and Lisa are both fine. Thanks for asking. Smile
Trust me... "Damn" wasn't exactly the word(s) that I used for weeks after the flood. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

I know I late eh... Nope, in fact you're early. Finally wrapping up the renovations. Now the hard part... Clean the "ToyRoom"... Clean & relocate everything that was "moved & stored" for the renovation... Then run the air-lines for the compressor. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
ToyRoom: 1) 40' L (was 24') x 17' W attached Garage (incl. Wash bay and temporary Sandblasting &/OR Spray-booth.)
------------: 2) 14' x 16' Machine shop & Tool room.
------------: 3) 12' x 44' Metalwork/Welding + Woodwork shop + Toilet + Plant Nursery for my wife.
------------: incl. 5' x 13' Quiet Room for Air compressor, water pumps & (eventually) Cyclone sawdust filter.
------------: 4) Gym and laundry above #3... I must loose 18 kg to improve the Evo's "Power:Weight" Ratio. Laughing

.. ... ............ ToyRoom entrance... (Before)........................... ToyRoom entrance... (After.)
Sanctifier wrote:
A Garage Door will be installed (much later... $$$!!!)...
A "Double Bi-fold gate" (much sooner) will separate the new "Parking Area." from the original "Work Area."

After losing a Legacy Wagon plus over $175k in property damage, I went "overboard" with Flood Control...
Pix of some of the Flood Control Measures that were installed...
... ... ........................ Western Wall (Before)....................................... Western Wall (After)...

... ...
... Eastern Wall & Buttresses w/Sewer Check valve... Southern Wall w/Buttresses, Sumps & Foot-pumps.
Sanctifier wrote:
I changed the 'open' western drain to an Underground Drain w/1-way Flap Valve.

Both gates will be changed to "water-tight" (hopefully) Sluce gates now being fabricated.

In a year or two I'll change the roof ($$$) and take 'run-off' water over the Northern wall into the storm drain.
........................ Ground Floor 'before' ....................................... & 'after' renovation.

I keep forgetting about Zorce. I need to pop in here more often... Please do. This year should be interesting!
I'm about to order OEM Mitsubishi parts for the Evo 6 from the UK. I want it back on the road this year!

(GroceryGetter...) Any updates?... Not yet... but soon. Hopefully in about six weeks.
Sanctifier wrote:
The Lancer 1800 GSR goes to M.o.T to register a "Change of Engine" to the 1400 cc and then for a 2014 INSPECTION CERTIFICATE...
Then take it off the road... Anchor it on the Car-O-Liner; mount the Car-O-Mech & M-900... Cool
Measure!... Re-measure!... then MEASURE AGAIN!...
Then start drilling out a hundred OEM "spot welds"... and take a thousand pix of "work-in-progress." Laughing

Yup, along with an "On-line" Mobile Catering "Start Up" (more later); 2014 will be "too short" and very busy! Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zorce.com Forum Index -> The Mitsubishi Madmen All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: