The Racing Magazine in the Islands
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

THE ASYLUM!... Workshops & Tools for DIY MadMen.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zorce.com Forum Index -> The Mitsubishi Madmen
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What's your "take" on tuning?
Do you prefer DIY tuning?
100%
 100%  [ 14 ]
Do you prefer to pay a mechanic and avoid the hassle?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Do you prefer just to buy modified wheels with no work.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 14

Sanctifier
Zorce Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MG and Sportsman. Remember the lifts that we talked about?
Here's why I suggested NOT buying a cheapie, uncertified lift...

Sometimes it's not always possible to install a 2-poster or even a 4-poster... and many
Mid-rise or Full-rise portable sissors lifts still take up too much floor-space when not in use...
Some designs block your access to the drive-train/exhaust too, making them even less useful.

I've been wondering how to park a 4-poster AND a car side-by-side in a 17ft wide garage.
No matter how I cut it, the ToyRoom will be cramped when parking every day...NOT what I need! Rolling Eyes

Here's an option for 1-car Garages, or Workshops with less than 9-ft ceilings... MaxJax!
Quote:
If blank, "click" on the box to see "slideshow"... & "Temporarily allow pop-ups" if needed.

Sanctifier wrote:
I would also use tall axle stands for extra safety...

Even better...
Idea FABRICATE two "Drive-On" ramps. It's now a DUAL-PURPOSE 2-post AND "semi 4-post" lift...
It's even SAFER... still PORTABLE...and VERY CONVENIENT.

Idea AND you get 6"-to-9" of EXTRA HEIGHT whenever you need it too...
[4"-6" of extra tyre height + 2"-3" from "drive-on" ramp.]

Idea Drilling ANCHOR-HOLES elsewhere, also gives you an ALTERNATIVE Work-bay if needed, too.

Sad But you can't use it as a storage lift for the "Project Car." Just not enough headroom below.

Still looking... but it may be a last resort to my problem... Cool

My $0.02¢

Comments & suggestions, please.
Sanctifier
Zorce Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye MG, here's another alternative for a 4-post lift in a low-ceiling garage...

... Laughing Laughing Laughing
MG Man
Zorce Klingon Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my case I would have to raise the whole house

I know it's so, for I told me so
Sanctifier
Zorce Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ ^ ^ Then MaxJax (above) may be your only viable option.

Looking seriously at it myself; since nothing else is suitable &/or affordable.
I'll decide by next month and order something before the Christmas rush.
Sanctifier
Zorce Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE TEN WORKSHOP COMMANDMENTS:
Quote:
1.) Thou shalt make nonstop ear piercing noises.

2.) Thou shalt burn, grind, weld, and otherwise torture metal.

3.) Thou shalt have naked female posters on the wall.

4.) Thou shalt have one cheap USED frig, only for the purpose of storing drinks. (Alcoholic , or otherwise)

5.) Thou shalt NOT have furniture that you CAN NOT sit in if you are greasy.

6.) Thou shalt abide that dust shall NEVER be removed, unless by means of compressed air.

7.) Thou shalt have a MINIMUM of one project sitting while working on others. (Just in case you feel like throwing a hammer)

8.) Thou shalt not have carpeting larger than one piece to lay under a car on.

9.) Thou shalt NEVER vacuum in the shop

10.) Thou shalt NEVER cede shop space to storage for spousal or family units.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Sanctifier
Zorce Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sanctifier wrote:
Bow Down Thank you, Oh Lord! At last... The Odyssey is about to begin! A long time comin'...

Finally saved a couple $$$ to spend on the cars, so Evo 6 solodex upgrade has restarted.

Whirly Jig rotisserie will be delivered to the ToyRoom today... so the sand blaster will be in action soon too.
Link--> Old School Projects.

My $0.02¢

Last edited by Sanctifier on Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Sanctifier
Zorce Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... since this thread is about tools... This one is for the less "straight laced" among us... dawg! Whey yuh?!... Laughing

Red Dawg
Zorce Director at large

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less Straight Laced?
OK I'll accept that.
Sanctifier
Zorce Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ ^ ^ Laughing Laughing Laughing
Sanctifier
Zorce Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASYLUM UPDATE:- ...and about time, too! Rolling Eyes

This is the first post of what will (eventually) become a single thread (elsewhere) about my "Evo Odyssey!"...
Sanctifier wrote:
CAUTION: EXTREMELY ADDICTIVE! DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!... You have been warned! Laughing

It started here in "The Asylum", with "Equipment Purchases etc." and a dream of doing a full Rotisserie Restoration on the E6. Now it continues with "Equipment Restoration/Repair & Installation"... "Workshop Upgrades"... and of course (after so many years with no $$$)* with VERY specific plans and detailed specifications for restoring & upgrading the cars themselves.
Yup, its now TWO Evo 6 TME RS2 Projects...
PROJECT #1:- Mitsubishi Lancer 1800 GSR -to- Evo 6 TME RS2 'Clone.' - "Daily driver"... with 100% Mitsubishi TME & RS2 parts.

PROJECT #2:- Mitsubishi Evolution 6 TME RS2 - 'Solodex Special'... Primary focus: (1) HANDLING... (2) Brakes... (3) Adhesion.

Why TWO Evos? Long story, short... I bought the 1800 GSR in 2001 and six months later found that I NEEDED more power! Twisted Evil
I started buying bits to upgrade to "Evo Power"...then decided "to go the whole hog" and build my dream car an Evo 6 TME RS2.
Eighteen months later and "broke", I had ALL the parts... except the Evo 6 rear "RS" LSD... DAMN! Rolling Eyes

Another eighteen months later... I found it!... attached to the prettiest (and only) Evo 6 RS2 that I had EVER seen
... SO I BOUGHT THE WHOLE DAMN CAR!... Wouldn't you? Laughing Thank you, Sunil... Thank you VERY much indeed!
Sanctifier wrote:
FATHER TIME! ... Rolling Eyes * Unfortunately, LIFE usually (always) gets in the way when you're having the most fun!...

After paying for TWO sets of University bills for my first two kids (incl. a Medical Degree)... a zillion Mortgage payments... Having TWO more kids... and last year, Open Heart Surgery (foreign) for my second son... Bow Down Thank You, GOD!

... "The Odyssey" begins again!

REBIRTH: Right now I have no room left!... Seriously!... I MUST build the E6 'Clone' first; in order to get rid of all the extra parts collected over the last SEVEN + years AND to get some scarce working room... No other choice! Rolling Eyes

ToyRoom(s) - "if ONE is good, then TWO should be better!" Laughing
Yup, I'm finishing another ToyRoom at home... but $$$ can only stretch so far. To avoid further delays, ToyRoom #1 will do for the "heavy lifting" to get things going (steam cleaning and media-blasting duties.)

. . . . . . Original ToyRoom #1 - Storage & Workspace Issues... (BTW right now its even worse!) Rolling Eyes . . . . . .

Up next---> Restore the Sioux Steam Cleaner... and maybe the Arrow Refrigerated Air-dryer too...
To prevent the media from "clumping and clogging", totally DRY air is vital for soda blasting.

Then after mounting the GSR shell in the rotisserie, we'll steam clean and "sand" blast it to remove ALL the sealer, paint, underseal and rust...
Sanctifier wrote:
Idea After soda-blasting, you MUST neutralize/remove the baking soda residue, before doing further bodywork.
Otherwise you will grind the residue into the "pores" of the metal, which causes this---> Skipping this step sometimes causes 'adhesion problems' with primer and paint coats. They can "peel off" ... Evil or Very Mad ... so better safe than sorry!

EDIT: New Information/Easier Method - While a WARM soap & water mixture and "ScotchBrite" scrub is usually suggested, it too is a base (alkaline pH) and may not solve the problem entirely. A better alternative is HoldTight 102 Salt Remover / Flash Rust Inhibitor. Simply dilute it (50:1) with water... pour it into a pressure washer... pressure wash the panel/body-shell... blow dry with compressed air...
NO Flash Rust (up to 120 hours)... and NO Paint Adhesion Problems!

This is THE professional answer to eliminate ALL adhesion and "flash" rust problems and IMHO makes DIY media blasting the preferred method of autobody preperation... given the limited Auto Restoration resources in T&T.

Link--> HoldTight 102 Salt Remover / Flash Rust Inhibitor.

Sanctifier wrote:
RESTORATION & UPGRADE SCHEDULE: PROJECT #1 - Evo 6 TME RS2 'Clone'.

Next---> Rustproofing, "Spot/Stitch-welding" (MIG), FoamSeal, Seam sealing and Undersealing duties...
and then the actual (long, boring) bodywork and paint jobs can begin... Rolling Eyes

Later---> Disassemble PROJECT #2: Evo 6 RS2 - Engine, Gearbox, Drive-train, Front & Rear Suspension, Brakes etc.

Restore parts listed above - Strip, Steam clean, Repair, Plate (Nickle/Zinc/Cadmium)/Powder-coat/Paint etc.,

Reassemble components listed...

REASSEMBLE PROJECT #1: Evo 6 TME RS2 'Clone' using ALL the restored parts from PROJECT #2...

Sanctifier wrote:
Later!... MUCH later!---> "Massage" Evo 6 shell for drivetrain and suspension "upgrades."
Repeat all the steps (above) on the Evo 6 shell. Shocked

Still to come---> The fun stuff... PROJECT #2: Evolution 6 TME RS2 - 'Solodex' UPGRADES!

#1: BRAKES: Evo X 350mm Front Rotors & Calipers. StopTech 328mm Rear Rotors & Calipers.
.................... AMS Brake Cooling kit.

#2: WHEELS: - Road....... Evo X rims (18" x 8.5"/ET38)
..... WHEELS: - Solodex... To be decided. Wink
... MUCH more to come!

"The Odyssey" begins... Again! Laughing

Last edited by Sanctifier on Tue May 06, 2014 1:54 pm; edited 29 times in total
Sanctifier
Zorce Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a post from the other place to kick-start "the REBIRTH!"... and to keep things in sequence. Smile
X_Factor wrote:
saw a sign today in aranguez advertising dry ice blasting... Will try to get the number and post it...

Can you check and post a name & number please?... Project Evo 6 TME RS2 'Clone' has started and I'm servicing some equipment to do a rotisserie restoration & upgrade. (Stitch-welding, FoamSeal, Custom paint, "the works")...All DIY!

We stripped this today. I want to blast tanks, frame & heater coil before trying my 1st DIY powder-coating "test-run"...

STEP #1:- Sioux Combination Steam Cleaner & (Hot/Cold) High Pressure Washer Restoration.

Sanctifier wrote:
Up next...
Service the electric motor... Dry Ice/Soda Blast the Frame & Tanks... Repair Front Steering...
Buy Powder-coating kit, media & Drying Lights... Parts (local): Hoses, Plumbing & pipe connectors etc. ...
Parts (OEM): Spare Heater Coil, Wiring Harness, small Steam-Gun & lightweight Hose, Grommets, Decals etc.
PLUS a ceramic insulator that I broke today when turning over the damn frame... Rolling Eyes

Sanctifier wrote:
Idea NOTE TO SELF: Add (bolt/weld) "lifting rings" to chassis before powder-coating...
to allow easier lifting and to "tie-down" (secure) when transporting unit.

"The Odyssey" continues!... Laughing

Last edited by Sanctifier on Tue May 06, 2014 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sanctifier
Zorce Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: ^ ^ ^ We went hunting today... It's 21st Century Janitorial Services on Aranguez Main Road; on the right hand side (from C/R Highway), behind Maharaj Air-Conditioning compound.

Mrs. Khan, the C.E.O is one of the most interesting persons I've spoken to for quite awhile.
Their Technical M'gr is coming to see the Steam Cleaner on Thursday to give a quotation.

I'm also getting a quote to dry-ice blast Project #1 - 4wd 1800 GSR (CM5A) shell as well. This will save time.

I won't have to install and test blasting eq'pt immediately, before prepping it for DIY body & paint job. I'll install eq'pt after Project #1 is on the road. That way we can start Project #2 - Evo 6RS2 "Restoration & Solodex Upgrade" even sooner.

UPDATE: The M'gr has taken the lid as a "test piece".
Quotations for Steam Cleaner... (and GSR shell) on Tuesday (5-03-12) if their process works well.

I'll keep you posted...
Sanctifier
Zorce Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ ^ ^ UPDATE: Unfortunately, the final quotation was too high to be a practical alternative for me.
Sanctifier wrote:
^ ^ ^ Out of respect for that company's C.E.O.; just let's say that it was three times more than I could afford.

I'll check PanLand tomorrow. Failing which, this starts next week--->
Sanctifier wrote:
"Restore" the Arrow Refrigerated Air Dryer... Install to compressor at work...

build a temp "Plastic & PVC", cross-flow spray booth...
D.I.Y. Pressure-blast the Steam Cleaner frame & tanks... Cool

buy a Powder-coating kit, powder & 6,000 watt Drying Lamp...
D.I.Y. Powder-coat the Steam Cleaner frame & tanks ... Cool

CAUTION: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DO MEDIA-BLASTING WITHOUT ADEQUATE SAFETY GEAR Exclamation
And DON'T use beach sand/sharp sand to try to save a 'buck'... Silicosis is no joke! (Google it.) Rolling Eyes

Scarce $$$ stopped me from buying this eq'pt for too long... The time is about right, before I go broke... AGAIN! Rolling Eyes

My $0.02¢
Sanctifier
Zorce Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ ^ ^ PanLand... 'Nuff said! We carried both units to PanLand today.

Yup, I got a reasonable quotation from PanLand's C.E.O. (cool fella) for Media-blasting (Black Diamond)
and Powder-coating both units.

We'll see how it goes... pix soon.

btw I got a reasonable estimate to media-blast and powder-coat my 18" rims too! Cool
Sanctifier
Zorce Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple new additions (hopefully)...
UPDATE: Used "Car-O-Mech Frame Measuring System" purchase: (Yup, cross-post...)
1st attempt (Texas - $800) - This buy (5-06-12) fell through (parts missing from unit)...

2nd attempt (Illinois - $1,000) - (27-06-12) Waiting for feedback on a refurbished, powder coated unit in a few days...
Nope, unfortunately the frame machine isn't included @ that price Laughing ... but the Storage Case is! Cool

Added 2 x pairs of Unibody Pinch-weld Clamps this week to the ToyRoom's arsenal in preperation for the "build."

This is for a jig (secondary frame) to mount the body-shell + Starion floor-pan + Car-O-Mech system to the rotisserie...

Now it's also a "Car-dolly" to make the shell mobile in the ToyRoom. Cool

Link--> "GroceryGetter!" - Lancer 1800 GTX (A175X.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zorce.com Forum Index -> The Mitsubishi Madmen All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: