The Racing Magazine in the Islands
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Olympus E-500 or Fuji FinePix S9500?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which Camera?
Olympus E-VOLT E-500 SLR with 2 lens kit
100%
 100%  [ 2 ]
FujiFilm Finepix S9500/9600 pro-consumer
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 2

NarendZORCE
Zorce Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Olympus E-500 or Fuji FinePix S9500? Reply with quote

I am really having trouble deciding... Red Dawg has the E-300 which means we'll be able to swap lenses & batteries etc. The S9500 however, comes with a fixed 28mm-300mm (10x) SLR style lens which means I won't need to.

Olympus

Fuji

Download & SEE iT! >> http://www.zorce.com/fortheforums/Zorce-15.mp4

Oh Yeah! Feel the Rush, it's like... WOW!
May the (Mass x Acceleration)-F+Z be with you...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
aidan
Looking for the Jedi base

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fugi all d way!!
Zorce Jedi Photo Master

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey - found some helpful articles.. But rather than drown you with reviews.. think i'll just run a summary...

Well they both use the same type of Image sensors but the Fuji has a higher resolution by 1MB.
So Fuji 1: Olympus 0

Olympus has interchangeable lenses - altho let is be known the Fuji comes with a lens that is equivalent to 28-300, and Olympus has yet to build on it's wide range of available lenses. Yet the double lense kit covers most. I'd still say I'd give the point to Olympus because I hate being stuck with one lens.

Fuji:1, Olympus:1

The Fuji comes with a better range for the shutter speeds, but a max aperture range of 11. The Olympus this would vary with the lense u throw on there. Especially with cars I like to have a 16/22 Aperture setting available just because it means if I have 4 cars in a frame, I have a better chance that they all would be in focus. Being that it is for the motorsport industry, the slower shutter speed would not really be too much of an issue... So in all I'd give Olympus the point. The standard lens that comes with it (equivalent to a 28-90) has a max aperature of 22.

Fuji:1, Olympus:2

Frames per second count, the Fuji was 1.5 and the Olympus 2.5

Fuji:1, Olympus:3

Video feature: none on the olympus, Fuji had it.

Fuji:2, Olympus:3

From this point it's all about personal preferences.

The olympus has an option to manually and automaticaly set the ISO settings. I rather this over a completely auto setting. (Like choosing a tiptronic over auto) Altho the Fuji does boasts of going down to an ISO of 80 vs the olympus of lowest 100. From the reviews, the Olympus is more set to taking the picture using the Optical viewfinder (through the lens) rather than using the digital viewfinder like the Fuji - up to preference again here. And then of course is the battery - do u want ease of being able to buy AA batteries anywhere if needed or have the battery that you just must either always walk with the charger or have a backup?

I think it's all up to personal preference in the end. I know that you mentioned that the colour saturation on Fuji was better than most. But also mentioned that printing from the Canon was better. In one review the Olympus ranked just under a Canon in terms of print quality and colour.

For right now, most complete package would be the Fuji, but I think as a better foundation would be the Olympus. As taken from one review... "The Fuji is an excellent but expensive super-zoom compact digital compact camera. The Fujifilm Finepix S9500 Zoom is a cheap but rather poor digital SLR camera." You've worked with both Olympus and Fuji equipment already so it's a matter of how fast u can get it to do what you want it to do. If you know the Fuji features better.. and u can work it better - run with it.
Princess-Kaveshla
Zorce Jedi Photo Master

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple useful notes (NOT LAW):

1. Lower ISO gives less noise/grain
2. High ISO works good under low light settings
3. High aperture numbers mean more in focus (11,16,22)
4. Low aperture numbers mean less in focus (2.8, 4.6) - when u want to single out a subject and have everything else blurred
5. High shutter speeds work well with moving objects
6. Low shutter speeds work with with low light and portraits.

Aperture is basically the opening of the lens. The lower numbers mean that the hole is bigger allowing more light. Higher numbers mean that the hole is smaller and allows less light, but the light travels different through it and creates more range for sharper images ie better depth of field. The Shutter speed refers to the speed at which the shutter opens and close. The easiest way to understand ISO is to get back to buying film - it's the equivalent rating on the film ISO.

Combining those 3 functions, aperture, ISO & shutter speed can help you manipulate images much more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zorce.com Forum Index -> ZORCEology All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: